3.21.2012

Bridal Burnout

I have something I need to get off of my chest. For the past couple weeks, I've had bridal burnout. It just sort of snuck up on me. I've been plugging away on projects and doing as much as I could as soon as I could. I was determined not to let the bridal burnout bug bite me! But, sometimes there's just no stopping it.

The wedding to do list isn't very long anymore, but I still didn't want to do anything. I would force myself to do somethings. Like helping our MOH work on whatever project she happened to be working on. Besides that, nothing. I even boxed everything up in a big bin to take to the beach house to work on in May. As far as I was concerned, I was over wedding projects.

It wasn't like I was waking up in a cold sweat over what needed to be done and thinking I didn't have enough time to do it. I'm even ahead of schedule. I simply didn't want to do any more wedding projects. I had done a pretty big wedding project a few weeks back that took all day. By the end of it, I didn't want to look at another wedding project. Anyone else ever feel like this?

{source}

Planning a wedding is incredibly hard. It doesn't matter if it's for 20 people or 200. You are liking to feel overwhelmed at some point. What did I do when I started feeling this way? I just went with it. I really dropped all of the projects I was working on and took a break from my wedding to do list. I focused instead on the house restoration work that we've been doing. Yes, this is also for the wedding, but it sure doesn't feel like it. Instead it feels like a little vacation from all that needs to be done for the wedding.

I was doing good at being ahead of the game and delegating projects to others. I was doing what I was supposed to be doing to avoid burnout. Or was I? I had fallen victim to not taking very good care of myself as well as I should have been during that time. I'd work on the wedding every chance I had. At home after work, on weekends and even when there was down time at work. Besides stopping all of the things I was working on I also did a few other things to take me back on track.

1. Ordered Take-Out
I usually make us dinner and lunch every night. I t takes a lot of time to do this. I had a few nights I picked up dinner instead. I made sure to stay within my eating plan, but it helped to have some extra time at night.

2. Movie Nights
I made some movie date nights with Drew. There's nothing like a good movie to escape for a bit. We did one at the second run theater near our house and a couple cuddling up in bed. Sometimes, there is nothing that helps more than a good cuddle with Drew while watching a movie.

3. Catch Some Zs
Since I wasn't staying up late working on wedding projects, I ended up going to bed earlier. It was nice getting some extra sleep and waking up feeling more refreshed.

4. Spent Time with Friends
Drew nor I have barely been seeing our friends lately. We are always trying to work on something for the house and wedding and not spend as much money out to be able to afford everything for the wedding. Our friends were starting to complain that they never saw us anymore. They were right, they didn't. I made plans for us to go to a couple parties, have a few drinks and catch up with everyone.

5. Took Walks
I hadn't been going to the gym as much as usual because there was so much to do and not enough time. Since we were having nice weather, I grabbed out dog, ChiChi, and Drew to go for walks after work. Getting some fresh air was great and I got some more exercise in.

6. Shared How I was Feeling with Others.
I talked with Drew, a couple of friends and Mom on feeling burnt out and not wanting to work on any wedding stuff. They all offered an ear to listen and a shoulder to lean on.

All of this really helped more through my bridal burnout. And you know what? I'm now happy to say I am over it and back on the wedding projects track! I busted out a bunch more stuff in the past couple days for both the wedding and Portland celebration. I will be posting many more DIY projects very soon.

Have you experienced bridal burnout? What things did you do to move through it?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...