1.11.2012

New Year's Eve at Trader Vic's Portland

How was your New Year's Eve?

Every year we go to our friends, Justin and Greg's house for New Year's Eve. They have a really big party and lots of our friends go. It's always a fun way to ring in the new year. This year we did a little something different. Oh, we still went to their party, but before it we went to a special New Year's Eve dinner at Trader Vic's Portland

We got dressed up all fancy. I wore the beautiful vintage dress I wore in some of our engagement photos with a vintage sweater over it. I just love the way the bright yellow looks with the soft lavender. Don't you? 

Drew wore his great vintage hula dancer tie I got him for his birthday a couple years ago. It's perfect for dinner at Trader Vic's. The manager, Sage, really loved Drew's tie.



Sneaky Tiki and the Lava Lounge Orchestra was playing that night. We always enjoy going to Trader Vic's whenever they play there. It's nice having the live music and it really sets the mod.



Since it was New Year's Eve, Trader Vic's did a special pre fixe menu for the night. You got to select from two different starters, a main entree and a dessert. The dessert even came with a glass of champagne. Drew and I both looked over the menus independently and when I asked him what we wanted to get, it of course, was the exact same things that I wanted to get. We always do that!

Now before I tell you what we ate, I have to tell ya'll something.  I'm eating meat, again.  I know, it's weird.  It's really weird for me, too. I actually have a lot of guilt over it, as well. However, I had some things going on with me and had to cut a bunch of foods out of my diet.  Like soy, beans and lentils. There's a whole lot more than that. When you can't eat all of these things though it's hard to remain a vegetarian and not be starving all of the time. Plus, I was deficient in certain vitamins and minerals due to being a vegetarian. So yeah, I'm eating meat. Drew decided to, as well, in order to support me and my health. Now back to New Year's Eve!

For our first course we selected Mimosa Prawns. The butterflied prawns, glazed under the broiler with garlic butter, were very light and tasty.  We would have both liked if there was four shrimp instead of only three.

Mimosa Prawns

Next we had Bongo Bongo soup. This unusual soup was created by Trader Vic, himself. It may sound odd, but it's a rich puree of spinach, oysters and cream. I was a little reserved about how the flavor of this soup was going to be, but since many of our friends enjoy it, I thought I'd give it a try.

Bongo Bongo Soup

Trader Vic's is famous for their custom-made wood-fired Chinese Oven which can be traced back over two thousand years to the Han Dynasty. The natural smoke and heat is derived from a selection of seasoned woods. The meat, fowl or seafood is suspended from hooks and slowly cooked, producing a unique and original flavor. Our meat over a bead of root vegetables was prepared in this way. No, I don't remember what the meat was. Remember, I'm just getting back into eating meat. I'm still at a bit of a lose at what everything is. Oh, it had some kind of reduction sauce, too.



For our last course, we both selected the Tropical Neapolitan. It had light flaky layers with lilliko mouse, coconut and fresh whipped cream. It went perfect with the glass of champagne. As well did the chocolate covered strawberry!

Tropical Neapolitan

To top it all off we each had an after dinner drink. Drew tried the Tahitian Mudslide, while I got my favorite, the Coffee Grog. It's all about presentation people and this drink has a whole lot of on-fire presentation!



Our dinner was wonderful, the drinks were refreshing and the music was just right.  All of it together made for a perfect New Year's Eve dinner.  Especially since it's our one New Year's Eve while being engaged. Next year will be our first New Year's Eve as husband and wife.  We both like that idea a lot. 

Loved the red Christmas tree at Trader Vic's!
Do you ever think about how certain events will be your only or last time enjoy them before you become husband and wife?

*All photos personal photos.*

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...